An occupational qualification standard is a document which describes the nature of the work, the set of skills, knowledge and attitudes, i.e. competence requirements, needed to successfully accomplish this work. Occupational qualification standards are used for compiling curricula and awarding quali...fications. MoreHide
The main role of a teacher is to empower the learner and to be his/her development partner so that meaningful learning could take place, and taking into account the goals set in national curricula, a learning path that opens up the learner´s potential could formulate. The task of a teacher is to sys...tematically develop one´s professional skills and be aware of the educational innovations.
Teacher, level 6 qualification is obtained either by passing initial teacher training (Master´s degree) in a higher institution or by passing the qualification exam at the qualification awarding body.
In addition to the profession of teacher, level 6, the professional area of a teacher includes also the following professions:
- the profession of Teacher, level 7, obtained upon passing initial training (Master´s program) in a higher institution or by passing the qualification exam at the qualification awarding body;
- Senior teacher, level 7, who in addition to conducting learning activities supports the development of other teachers and of the organisation and develops methodology of the field in his/her own organisation; Senior teacher, level 7 is obtained by passing the qualification exam at the qualification awarding body or by completing continuing (teacher) training on a Master's level in an institution of higher education;
- Master teacher, level 8 who in addition to conducting learning activities instructs colleagues and leads development activities within the organisation as well as; Master teacher, level 8 is obtained by passing the qualification exam at the qualification awarding body. MoreHide
A.2 Work units
A.2.1 Supporting the learner
1. Knowledge of the development of a learner and of learning.
2. Getting to know the learner.
3. Supporting the individual study needs of the learner.
4. Shaping a collaborative learner
A.2.2 Planning of learning and teaching activities
1. Planning the... work of a teacher.
2. Selection, adaptation or composing of learning materials.
3. Shaping the learning environment.
1. Supporting the development of a learner
2. Leading class / group.
3. Supporting learning.
4. Supporting study motivation.
5. Supporting the purposeful use of digital technologies.
6. Feedback and evaluation supporting development.
A.2.4 Reflection and professional development
1. Reflecting teacher´s own work and personal development.
2. Studying teaching and learning and spreading pedagogical knowledge.
3. Securing own physical, spiritual and emotional wellbeing.
A.2.5 Collaboration and instruction
2. Consulting a parent in the field of learning.
3. Acting in a learning community.
A.2.6 Development, creative and research activities
1. Developing content knowledge.
2. Shaping education policy and planning.
B.2.9 Recurrent competencies of Teacher, level 7
2. Knowledge in the subject field.
3. Pedagogical content knowledge.
6. Social competence, communication.
7. Value competence, following professional ethics.
8. Mathematical, science and technological thinking.
10. Language use.
11. Evaluation and development of digital competences MoreHide
Elective areas of work
A.2.7 Supporting a learner with special educational needs
1. Awareness of applying the principles of inclusive education.
2. Adjusting learning.
A.2.8 Application of digital pedagogy
1. Instruction and mentoring.
2. Shaping the learning environment.
3. Developmen...t activities. MoreHide
A.3 Work environment and specific nature of work
The assumption of the work of a teacher is the understanding of educational legislation. Working conditions (e.g. working and resting time) are regulated by the Employment Contracts Act, working conditions can further be regulated by work-related organisational measures or by other normative documen...ts valid for the organisation. The work of a teacher is diverse and challenging, requires lifelong learning, good communication skills and resistance to stress, preserving mental and physical health, including voice, is important. MoreHide
The main tools of a teacher include learning materials, school and office supplies, digital resources etc according to the field taught.
A.5 Personal qualities required for work: abilities and characteristics
Important qualities in teaching: honesty, empathy, self-regulation, entrepreneurship, collaboration, creativity, positivity, tolerance, responsibility and ability to learn.
A.6 Professional preparation
Teacher´s educational preparation is regulated by the statute of the minister of education and science.
A.7 Most common occupational titles
A.8 Regulations governing profession
Statute of the Minister of education and science Qualification requirements of pedagogues of preschool children´s institution.
B Competency Requirements
B.1 Structure of occupation
Applying for this qualification one needs to prove competences B.2.1 – B.2.6 and B.2.9 (a recurrent competence). In addition, it is possible to verify optional competences B.2.7 and B.2.8.
Supporting the learner
1. is aware of the foundations and cultural specialties of the physical, cognitive, emotional and social development of the learner; is aware of the factors influencing learning and its regularities, core competences, group processes and evidence-based opportunities to support the learner, incl the need of using reflection models; keeps her/himself posted about terminology connected with learning and the development of the learner, updated knowledge and research; is aware of the opportunities using digital solutions and risks connected with it while learning;
2. finds out the level of the study skills and learning motivation of the group and the learner and takes these into account when setting study goals and planning activities; collects in collaboration with colleagues information from the learning process and studies opportunities how to support the learner´s holistic development and preparedness to learn; uses development interviews to support the learner´s development;
3. recognises the learners´ need for support and their individual study needs (incl the learner with more abilities); involves and cooperates with support specialists and colleagues in finding out support and help needs (filling out learner´s individual development card as needed, taking into account the dynamics of his/her specifics), planning and applying learning and development activities (finding suitable learning methods and form, adjusting study according to abilities, modifying learning materials, applying helping tools, forming individual development plan); in collaboration with parents supports and guides the learner;
4. supports the development of social and collaborative skills; drafts together with the learner(s) agreements based on mutual values; guides learners to take each other into account and support each other, taking into account group processes and dynamics; supports the feeling of unity in a group and in the educational institution.
Planning of learning and teaching activities
1. sets short- and long-term learning goals based on learner(s), chooses content and plans activities, considering the curriculum; according to the goals chooses suitable methods for teaching, learning and giving feedback; in collaboration with other specialists compiles individual curriculum if needed, behavioral support plan and/or development plan, taking into account the principles of supporting a learner with special educational needs and the holistic development of the learners;
2. chooses from learning materials the suitable one matching the learning goals and the level of learners and group; recognises shortcomings of learning materials and makes recommendations for adjusting and compiling study materials; finds and spreads digital study materials and digital technologies, which enable effectively to achieve learning goals;
3. shapes the physically, spiritually and emotionally secure collaborative study environment supporting wellbeing, health, development and creativity, based on the needs and learning goals of learners and mutually agreed values; contributes to shaping the study environment of the organisation.
1. notices and recognises learners´ different interests, abilities, and needs (incl educational special needs, cultural specifics, etc), ensuring ability-appropriate study; takes into account main cognitive processes (perception, attention, memory, thinking, executive functions) on supporting the learner; collects data about the learners´ development and efficiency of the learning process; uses digital technologies for increasing inclusion of learners in learning; personalises learning paths by digital technologies;
2. creates consciously a caring, bullying-free and collaborative atmosphere (incl digital environment), originating from agreements based on mutual values, learners´ individual needs, learning goals and principles of inclusive education; creates safe and health supporting study environment, acts in an appropriate way in a situation requiring first aid; notices and prevents conflicts, finds effective solutions and when needed includes learners, parents and support specialists;
3. when integrating activities applies game and other active learning methods, incl the ones supporting creativity, following the learner´s specifics, set goals, and core skills, and the principles of inclusive education; explains to the learners and analyses with them their learning activities and study results; applies in collaboration with other specialists the learner´s individual development plan if needed; analyses teaching and applied support measures, modifies activities and environment flexibly, considering learners´ needs (for moving);
4. supports learning motivation and the development of a learner with age-appropriate development, creating a success experience for each learner;
5. guides students to apply digital technologies while searching for information, communicating and in content creation; organises meaningful use of digital technologies in class/group during individual and collaborative study, incl problem solving;
6. systematically applies different ways, including digital technologies, for feedback and evaluation which support learning, according to learner specifics and documents regulating evaluation; agrees with learners and parents upon the principles and organisation of giving
Reflection and professional development
1. reflects one´s own work, incl analysing the effect of teaching, using different methods, including colleagues and participating in study communities, incl virtual ones; regularly collects feedback about learners´ learning activities and results, and according to that plans changes in teaching and education process; compiles one´s own professional development plan and defines study needs, taking into account also the development needs of the educational institution and national educational priorities; uses digital environments for personal professional development;
2. analyses learning process and defines problems; plans and carries out activities for solving problems; analyses and interprets results, using suitable research methods;
3. follows, evaluates and values own physical, mental and emotional health, acts for keeping them in balance; when problems rise and if needed looks for help from colleagues, mentor, management, support specialist, etc.
Collaboration and instruction
1. creates a trustworthy relationship with the learner and parents; initiates and collaborates with stakeholders (learner, parent, colleague, support specialist, community, etc) to support the learner development: includes into discussions, learning process, initiatives and activities of
the educational institution; informs the learners and parents about the curriculum, study organisation, principles and values of teaching and learning, clarifies educational innovations to stakeholders;
2. gives feedback about learner progress to learner and parents; includes parents actively into making decisions connected to learner development and applying them, incl learning activities at home according to the information received from the educational institution; instructs parents in creating a learning supportive home environment and in developing study skills of the learner; shares evidence-based learning and teaching related materials to parents (articles, books, internet materials etc);
3. acts as a team member in a learning community on the goal of own and colleagues` professional development and through that also on the goal of supporting learner development.
Development, creative and research activities
1. participates in learning communities and collaboration networks in developing the knowledge of the study field; participates in carrying out events and projects popularising subject / study field;
2. participates in composing documents guiding the development of the organisation;
participates in the work of organisations and expert groups of the study field.
In addition, it is possible to verify optional competences B.2.7 and B.2.8.
Supporting the learner with special educational needs
1. has overview of the legislation in the field of special education, knows and uses the opportunities for learning arrangements in connection with special education needs; understands and uses the widespread terminology used in the special education field; monitors the development dynamics and coping of each learner and notices a learner differing from others in the learning process and the need for support; in collaboration with support specialists recognises the types of special needs of the learners in need of support; notices and evaluates the need for support according to learner´s special needs and in collaboration with different parties finds out individual development and learning needs;
2. designs the learning environment according to the needs and development of the learner, ensuring the learning support and success experience; conducts individual and group activities supporting learner´s development; when possible together with the student in need of support sets feasible learning goals, modifies learning materials and work arrangements, guides the learner to use help materials; compiles and applies individual study curriculum in one or multiple subjects or applies a different curriculum; when modifying and analysing the effectivenenss of the applied support measures collaborates with support specialists, colleagues and parents;
3. consults and instructs parents and colleagues in supporting the learner in the learning process; consults colleagues in modifying learning environment and learning materials; analyses the applied support measures and makes recommendations to special education coordinator and/or head of the educational institution to change learning arrangements according to the
needs of the learners in need of support.
Application of digital pedagogy
1. creates and compiles instructional and methodological materials for applying digital tools in one´s institution; organises and conducts in-service training supporting the development of digital competencies and the meaningful use of different digital tools; recommends digital
tools, instructs and helps colleagues in finding, starting to use, and securely using digital tools;
enhances in collaboration with teachers within the organisation the usage of digital tools in teaching;
2. analyses the digital infrastructure of the organisation and makes suggestions to update it and to be applied in the learning process; evaluates security risks and makes suggestions to mitigate them;
3. supports and evaluates curriculum development with offering digital tools and integrating the
digital competence in teaching.
Recurrent competence of the profession Teacher
1. defines oneself as a teacher and a learning professional and perceives the accompanying responsibility and role in the society; analyses one´s professional development, being open to feedback and takes it into consideration while planning personal development; acts as a knowledgeable and responsible citizen;
2. has a command of learning content, keeps him/herself posted about updates in the field, taking into account the knowledge, evidence-based and best practices of the field, as well as requirements from the curriculum; uses relevant (research) literature in his/her work;
3. knows how to teach the learning content in the most effective way to different learners and how to support the formation of science-based understanding and achieve changes in thinking models of the learners when needed; knows how to relate pedagogical knowledge to subject knowledge for making learning more efficient; knows and selects the appropriate level of complexity and presentation method of the study content in teaching;
4. notices, acknowledges, inspires the learner, parent and colleague, acknowledges also minor progress; supports the formation of learning motivation through creating meaningful and feasible learning situations, promoting self-realisation and satisfaction emerging from learning; notices the appearance of non-motivational situations in learning process and finds solutions to eliminating them on individual or class/group level;
5. in collaborative learning situations is a good partner dedicated to collaboration; brings his/her knowledge and experiences to a collaborative learning situation and applies these in empowering colleagues; makes decisions collaboratively; analyses the efficiency of collaboration;
6. creates a positive communication environment and behaves according to good communication practice; manages his/her emotions and behaviour according to the situation; represents teacher´s profession when communicating with different target groups: creates communication networks needed for cooperation; shapes communication and conversing skills of learners; analyses and develops own communication skills, provides constructive criticism and is open to it;
7. proceeds from professional ethics of a teacher in his/her work; supports broader recognition and valuation of professional ethics and the profession of a teacher in the society through his/her own action; develops and follows values and norms of the society in various environments; develops values of the learner with his/her own example;
8. understands and applies knowledge and methods characteristic to mathematics, sciences and technology when solving problems; interprets mathematical results in every-day life context; creates technological solutions and acts in both natural as well as technologically rich environment, taking into account the counteraction of nature, technology and society;
9. is oriented towards achievement of results and personal work objectives; looks for opportunities for self-development and advancing in career; offers and realises new ideas, taking into account field- and subject-related knowledge, science-based and best practices;
notices problems and hidden opportunities therein; reacts flexibly to changes;
10. uses correct teaching language verbally and in writing and expresses oneself clearly; uses in one´s work teaching language on level C1 and one foreign language on level B2;
11. evaluates and develops his/her digital competence according to the digital competence model
recognised in the education field.
Recurrent competencies are evaluated in the course of evaluation of other competencies listed in the occupational qualification standard.
C General information and Annexes
Designation of occupational qualification standard in register:
Field of occupational activity:
Occupational Qualification Council:
No. of decision of Occupational Qualification Council:
Date of decision of Occupational Qualification Council:
Reference to European Qualifications Framework (EQF):