An occupational qualification standard is a document which describes the nature of the work, the set of skills, knowledge and attitudes, i.e. competence requirements, needed to successfully accomplish this work. Occupational qualification standards are used for compiling curricula and awarding quali...fications. MoreHide
The main role of a teacher is to empower the learner and to be his/her development partner so that meaningful learning could take place and taking into account the goals set in national curricula, a learning path that opens up the learner´s potential could formulate. The task of a teacher is to syst...ematically develop one´s professional skills and be aware of the educational innovations.
Master teacher, level 8 in addition to conducting learning activities also instructs colleagues and manages development activities in the organisation as well as outside of it; Master teacher, level 8 qualification is obtained by passing the qualification exam at the qualification awarding body.
In addition to the profession of Master teacher, level 8, the professional area of a teacher includes also the following professions:
- the profession of teacher, level 6, obtained upon passing initial training of kindergarten teacher (applied higher education or Bachelor´s study) in a higher institution or by passing the qualification exam at the qualification awarding body;
- Teacher, level 7, which is obtained by passing the initial training (Master´s program) in higher institution or by passing the qualification exam at the qualification awarding body;
- Senior teacher, level 7 who in addition to conducting learning activities supports the development of other teachers and the organisation, and develops the subject field methodology within the organisation; Senior teacher, level 7 is obtained by passing the qualification exam at the qualification awarding body or by completing continuing (teacher) training on a Master's level in an institution of higher education. MoreHide
A.2 Work units
A.2.1 Supporting the learner
1. Knowledge of the development of a learner and of learning.
2. Getting to know the learner.
3. Supporting the individual study needs of the learner.
4. Shaping a collaborative learner
A.2.2 Planning of learning and teaching activities
1. Planning the work of a ...teacher.
2. Selection, adaptation or composing of learning materials.
3. Shaping the learning environment.
1. Supporting the development of a learner
2. Leading class / group.
3. Supporting learning.
4. Supporting study motivation.
5. Supporting the purposeful use of digital technologies.
6. Feedback and evaluation supporting development.
A.2.4 Reflection and professional development
1. Reflecting teacher´s own work and personal development.
2. Studying teaching and learning and spreading pedagogical knowledge.
3. Securing own physical, spiritual and emotional wellbeing.
A.2.5 Collaboration and instruction
2. Counselling a parent in the field of learning.
3. Acting in a learning community.
A.2.6 Development, creative and research activities
1. Developing content knowledge.
2. Shaping education policy and planning development.
3. Shaping the politics and planning the development of the educational field.
1. Managing a team.
2. Managing processes.
3. Managing a network or a learning community.
B.2.9 Recurrent competencies of Master Teacher, level 8
2. Knowledge in the subject field.
3. Pedagogical content knowledge.
6. Social competence, communication.
7. Value competence, following professional ethics. .
8. Mathematical, science and technological thinking.
10. Language use.
11. Evaluation and development of digital competences. MoreHide
Elective areas of work
A.2.8 Instruction and training of teachers
1. Mentoring and training of colleagues.
2. Instruction or coordination of teacher training practice.
3. Collaboration on developing teacher training.
A.2.9. Development of methodology and learning materials
1. Development of methodologies.
2. Creat...ion and development of learning materials.
3. Creating and developing learning materials.
A.2.10 Supporting a learner with special educational needs
1. Awareness of applying the principles of inclusive education.
2. Adjusting learning.
A.2.11 Application of digital pedagogy
1. Instruction and mentoring.
2. Shaping the learning environment.
3. Development activities. MoreHide
A.3 Work environment and specific nature of work
The assumption of the work of a teacher is the understanding of educational legislation. Working conditions (e.g. working and resting time) are regulated by the Employment Contracts Act, working
conditions can further be regulated by work-related organisational measures or by other norma...tive documents valid for the organisation. The work of a teacher is diverse and challenging, requires lifelong learning, good communication skills and resistance to stress, preserving mental and physical health, including voice, is important. MoreHide
The main tools of a teacher include learning materials, school and office supplies, digital resources etc according to the field taught.
A.5 Personal qualities required for work: abilities and characteristics
Important qualities in teaching: honesty, empathy, self-regulation, entrepreneurship, collaboration, creativity, positivity, tolerance, responsibility and ability to learn.
A.6 Professional preparation
Teacher's educational preparation is regulated by the statute of the minister of education and science.
A.7 Most common occupational titles
A.8 Regulations governing profession
Statute of the Minister of education and science Qualification requirements of principals, vice principals, teachers and support specialists.
B Competency Requirements
B.1 Structure of occupation
Applying for this qualification one needs to prove competences B.2.1 – B.2.7 and B.2.12 (a recurrent competence) and at least one optional competences B.2.10 and B.2.11. In addition, it is possible to verify optional competences B.2.10 and B.2.11.
Supporting the learner
1. is aware of the foundations and cultural specialties of the physical, cognitive, emotional and social development of the learner; is aware of the factors influencing learning and its regularities, core competences, group processes and evidence-based opportunities to support the learner, incl the need of using reflection models; keeps her/himself posted about terminology connected with learning and the development of the learner, updated knowledge and research; is aware of the opportunities using digital solutions and risks connected with it while learning;
2. finds out the level of the subject-related, study skills and learning motivation of the group and the learner and takes these into account when setting (subject field, pedagogical and educational) study goals, counsels colleagues in this; collects in collaboration with colleagues information from the learning process and studies opportunities how to support the learner´s holistic development and preparedness to learn, manages the analysis process; uses development interviews to support the learner´s development; supports the creation and development of a mutual organisational system of learners´ development interviews;
3. recognises the learners´ need for support and their individual study needs (incl the learner with more abilities); involves and cooperates with support specialists and colleagues in finding out support and help needs (filling out learner´s individual development card as needed, taking into account the dynamics of his/her specifics), planning and applying learning and development activities (finding suitable learning methods and form, adjusting study according to abilities, modifying learning materials, applying helping tools, planning the organisation of individual learning, forming individual curriculum and/or behavioural support plan); counsels colleagues in collaboration with support specialists on supporting the learner´s individual learning needs; initiates the work of co-vision groups; in collaboration with parents supports and guides the learner;
4. supports the development of social and collaborative skills; drafts together with the learner(s) agreements based on mutual values; guides learners to take each other into account and support each other, taking into account group processes and dynamics; supports the feeling of unity in a group and in the educational institution; collects and shares good practices, counsels colleagues and manages a learning community.
Planning of learning and teaching activities
1. sets short- and long-term learning goals based on learner(s), chooses content and plans activities, considering the curriculum; according to the goals chooses suitable methods for teaching, learning and giving feedback; in collaboration with other specialists compiles individual curriculum if needed, behavioural support plan and/or development plan, taking into account the principles of supporting a learner with special educational needs and the
holistic development of the learners; initiates and instructs collaboration between colleagues
in planning the learning for integration of subject fields and shaping core competences among other things;
2. chooses from learning materials the suitable one matching the learning goals and the level of learners and group considering science-based approach and best practices; recognises shortcomings of learning materials and makes recommendations to subject field leaders or subject organisations in the regional or national level for adjusting and compiling study materials; compiles new learning materials based on contemporary pedagogical knowledge and best practices; instructs colleagues in choosing and adapting learning materials (incl digital tools), creates opportunities for sharing best practices, including different stakeholders and/or sharing personal experiences; finds, creates and spreads digital study materials and digital technologies, which enable effectively to achieve learning goals;
3. shapes the physically, spiritually and emotionally secure collaborative study environment supporting wellbeing, health, development and creativity, based on the needs and learning goals of learners and mutually agreed values; instructs colleagues in shaping and developing the study environment of the organisation; brings innovative ideas and best practices to the organisation for developing the learning environment on the basis of scientific literature or
1. notices and recognises learners´ different interests, abilities, and needs (incl educational special needs, cultural specifics, etc), ensuring ability-appropriate study; takes into account main cognitive processes (perception, attention, memory, thinking, executive functions) on supporting the learner; collects data about the learners´ development and efficiency of the learning process; instructs colleagues in supporting the development of the learners; makes suggestions in the organisation for supporting learner development through teacher training and collaboration; uses digital technologies for increasing inclusion of learners in learning; personalises learning paths by digital technologies; guides learners to support each other´s learning through digital technologies;
2. creates consciously a caring, bullying-free and collaborative atmosphere (incl digital environment), originating from agreements based on mutual values, learners´ individual needs, learning goals and principles of inclusive education; creates safe and health supporting study environment, acts in an appropriate way in a situation requiring first aid; manages class/group, taking into account the development phases of the group; notices and prevents conflicts, finds effective solutions and when needed includes learners, parents and support specialists; instructs colleagues in managing class/group; initiates and manages the acknowledgment and application of mutual values and agreements in the organisation;
3. teaches following the learner´s specifics, set goals, learning outcomes and cross-subject integration, using different study formats and methods to support the development of learners´ learning and subject skills, following the principles of inclusive education; analyses teaching and modifies activities and environment flexibly, considering learners´ needs (for moving); ensures needed support and analyses the effect of support measures together with other specialists;
4. supports learning motivation, offering choices in learning process, actual ability-appropriate study tasks, creating a success experience for each learner; instructs and provides training for colleagues in teaching and analysing learning process; makes suggestions in the organisation for development of learning activity, making collaboration more effective, and for in-service training;
5. guides students to apply digital technologies while searching for information, communicating and in content creation; organises meaningful use of digital technologies in class/group during individual and collaborative study, incl problem solving; in the organisation manages the
elaboration of mutual principles for recurrent usage of digital technologies in learning;
6. systematically applies different ways, including digital technologies, for feedback and evaluation which support learning, according to learner specifics and documents regulating evaluation; compiles evaluation models/criteria and evaluates learners using these; supports learners in developing self-evaluation skills; agrees with learners and parents upon the principles and organisation of giving feedback; instructs colleagues in giving supportive feedback and evaluation and compiling models and criteria of evaluation; makes suggestions about learning supportive evaluation and feedback; in the organisation creates in collaboration with colleagues mutual principles for making evaluation more effective with the help of digital technologies.
Reflection and professional development
1. reflects one´s own work, incl analysing the effect of teaching, using different methods, including colleagues and participating in study communities, incl virtual ones; regularly collects feedback about learners´ learning activities and results, and according to that plans changes in teaching and education process; compiles one´s own professional development plan and defines study needs, taking into account also the development needs of the educational institution and national educational priorities; supports colleagues in reflecting their own work and identifying personal development needs; initiates and leads the activities of learning communities; uses digital environments for personal professional development;
2. analyses and interprets the results of educational research and applies them in his/her work; initiates and conducts action research on class/group and educational institution level, analysing learning process, defining problems, collecting evidence from practice; instructs colleagues in planning, conducting and analysing and interpreting the results of (action) research; is a partner to universities and other institutions in conducting (inter)national studies; shares evidence-based knowledge with colleagues and collaboration partners;
3. follows, evaluates and values own physical, mental and emotional health, acts for keeping them in balance; when problems rise and if needed looks for help from colleagues, mentor, management, support specialist, etc.; notices problems his/her colleagues have, helps to acknowledge these and find solutions, when needed with collaboration of support specialists and/or management; participates in elaborating motivational systems of the educational institution and developing a secure working environment.
Collaboration and instruction
1. creates a trustworthy relationship with the learner and parents; initiates and collaborates with stakeholders (learner, parent, colleague, support specialist, community, etc) to support the learner development: includes into discussions, learning process, initiatives and activities of the educational institution; informs the learners and parents about the curriculum, study organisation, principles and values of teaching and learning, clarifies educational innovations to stakeholders; supports colleagues in including stakeholders and initiates supportive activities, incl learning communities and discussion groups; makes suggestions to the management for systematic inclusion of stakeholders;
2. gives feedback about learner progress to learner and parents; includes parents actively into making decisions connected to learner development and applying them, incl learning activities at home according to the information received from the educational institution; instructs parents in creating a learning supportive home environment and in developing study skills of the learner; shares evidence-based learning and teaching related materials to parents (articles, books, internet materials etc); instructs and supports colleagues in counselling activities; gets oneself acquainted with best practices; recommends to colleagues reading materials and
materials to be shared with parents;
3. observes the teaching activities of colleagues; monitors, analyses and gives feedback to the activities of a colleague, recognises and acknowledges progress; counsels colleagues in setting their development goals and developing teaching skills, based on teacher´s self-analysis; makes suggestions to management for organising in-service training and developing support and counselling systems; initiates and supports collaboration and exchange of experiences between teachers; gets oneself acquainted with different models of learning communities, selects the most suitable to the learning community based on goals; creates a learning community and manages its activities with the goal of own and colleagues` professional development and through that also with the goal of supporting learner development.
Development, creative and research activities
1. creates and manages learning communities and collaboration networks in developing the knowledge of the study field; critically analyses the applied practices and knowledge in the subject/study field; elaborates and distributes innovative and creative solutions; organises events and projects popularising subject / study field;
2. participates in the research and development working groups of teacher education, gives expert opinions; makes suggestions for initiating research and development activities of the field of teacher education on the national level or in universities, based on research and development needs of the field; conducts and instructs research work (incl action and development research) in the organisation; participates and performs in seminars and conferences etc of the education field;
3. participates in composing documents guiding the development of the organisation, region, country; plans and manages process; participates in the work of organisations and expert groups of the study field; gives input and feedback to bills, proposals, development plans etc.; makes suggestions for innovative changes in the organisation and subject/study field organisations; includes and encourages colleagues to be involved in educational policy discussions in the organisation as well as on the national level, forming collaboration networks when needed.
1. creates a team, manages its work in an organisation and on regional, national or international level, taking into account its goal and taking responsibility for decisions, activities and results; motivates team members and creates opportunities for development, delegating tasks relevantly and fairly, facilitating collaboration within a team and between teams; gives clear instruction for action and timely and relevant feedback;
2. selects and sets priorities; participates in strategic planning and connects own action with it; plans activities and resources; monitors processes, analyses situation and results, intervenes when needed and plans timely changes; supports the application of new evidence-based development activities; initiates projects or development activities, based on developmental needs of the education fields;
3. manages subject, professional and/or speciality association, network or learning community on organisational, regional or national level, proceeding from the trends of the field of education and taking into account the values of the work of a teacher; involves members in activities (incl development of viewpoints and making decisions); takes responsibility for viewpoints and development of a network/learning community.
Applying for this qualification needs to prove at least one optional competences. In addition, it is possible to verify optional competences B.2.10 and B.2.11.
Instruction and training of teachers
1. as a mentor supports the acclimatization of a beginning teacher or a new colleague; initiates, plans and conducts organisational and out-of-organisation in-service training, taking into account evidence-based and best practices;
2. manages and/or instructs pedagogical practice in the organisation, taking into account the curriculum at the university, guidelines for the practice and the specifics of the trainee; counsels university students and colleagues when needed in the process of the practice and instruction; participates in the elaboration of practice programs; gives feedback and makes suggestions for developing pedagogical practice.
Development of methodology and learning materials
1. analyses and develops methodologies for determination of development and learning needs of a learner and supporting learning, taking into account the educational trends and building on contemporary pedagogical knowledge and best practices; distributes methodologies on regional and national level;
2. drafts new reviewed learning materials, building on contemporary pedagogical-psychological and subject knowledge and technological opportunities; instructs drafting and adaptation of learning materials in the organisation.
Supporting the learner with special educational needs
1. has overview of the legislation in the field of special education, understands and uses the widespread terminology used in the field; knows and uses the opportunities for learning arrangements in connection with special education needs; notices a learner differing from others in the learning process and the need for support; describes and analyses the learning skills, behaviour, psychic processes etc of the learner in need of support, taking into account student´s coping in the learning environment and the evaluation results conducted so far; evaluates and analyses the correspondence of the learner´s knowledge, skills and core competences to the expected study results described in the national curriculum; recognises the types of special needs of the learners in need of general, enhanced and special support, and in collaboration with different stakeholders finds out individual learning needs; coordinates learner´s case-based work of network in the educational institution and collaboration with parents; initiates in collaboration with special education coordinator the opening of the individual development card and fills it out;
2. designs the learning environment according to the needs and development of the learner, ensuring the learning support and success experience; conducts individual and group activities supporting learner´s development; when possible together with the student in need of support sets feasible learning goals, modifies learning materials and work arrangements, guides the learner to use help materials; applies the recommendations of the counselling team for learners in need of enhanced and special support; compiles and applies individual study curriculum in one or multiple subjects or applies a different curriculum; when in need compiles a behavioural support plan and applies it; when modifying and analysing the effectiveness of the applied support measures collaborates with support specialists, colleagues and parents;
3. counsels and instructs parents and colleagues in supporting the learner in the learning process; instructs people (support personnel, teacher trainees etc) included in learning activities; counsels colleagues in modifying learning environment, learning methods and learning materials; analyses the applied support measures and makes recommendations to special education coordinator and/or head of the educational institution to change learning arrangements according to the needs of the learners in need of support; in collaboration with the head of the educational institution and support specialists makes proposals for including outside network (on a municipality level) for supporting learners in need of support.
Application of digital pedagogy
1. creates and compiles instructional and methodological materials for applying digital tools on national level; organises and conducts on national level in-service trainings supporting the development of digital competencies and the meaningful use of different digital tools; teaches on topics connected with developing teachers´ digital competences in initial or in-service training; recommends digital tools, instructs and helps colleagues in finding, starting to use, and securely using digital tools; enhances in collaboration with teachers in the region the usage of digital tools in teaching and shares methodologies of digital field on national level;
2. analyses the digital infrastructure of the organisation and makes suggestions to update it and to be applied both in the learning process as well as management of the institution; evaluates security risks and makes suggestions to mitigate them;
3. supports and evaluates curriculum development with offering digital tools and integrating the digital competence in teaching; participates in elaborating and monitoring the strategy of the digital field and in subject field collaboration networks on national level; supports the management in the educational institution on strategic planning of the field of educational technology.
Recurrent competence of the profession Master teacher, EstQF Level 8
1. defines oneself as a teacher and a learning professional and perceives the accompanying responsibility and role in the society; analyses one´s professional development, being open to feedback and takes it into consideration while planning personal development; acts as a knowledgeable and responsible citizen;
2. has a command of learning content, keeps him/herself posted about updates in the field, taking into account the knowledge, evidence-based and best practices of the field, as well as requirements from the curriculum; uses relevant (research) literature in his/her work;
3. knows how to teach the learning content in the most effective way to different learners and how to support the formation of science-based understanding and achieve changes in thinking models of the learners when needed; knows how to relate pedagogical knowledge to subject knowledge for making learning more efficient; knows and selects the appropriate level of complexity and presentation method of the study content in teaching;
4. notices, acknowledges, inspires the learner, parent and colleague, acknowledges also minor progress; supports the formation of learning motivation through creating meaningful and feasible learning situations, promoting self-realisation and satisfaction emerging from learning; notices the appearance of non-motivational situations in learning process and finds solutions to eliminating them on individual or class/group level;
5. in collaborative learning situations is a good partner dedicated to collaboration; brings his/her knowledge and experiences to a collaborative learning situation and applies these in empowering colleagues; makes decisions collaboratively; analyses the efficiency of collaboration;
6. creates a positive communication environment and behaves according to good communication practice; manages his/her emotions and behaviour according to the situation; represents teacher´s profession when communicating with different target groups: creates communication networks needed for cooperation; shapes communication and conversing skills of learners; analyses and develops own communication skills, provides constructive criticism and is open to it; represents teacher´s profession outside of class/group both in speaking and writing, communicating on across-Estonia level (e.g. with journalists) and internationally;
7. proceeds from professional ethics of a teacher in his/her work; supports broader recognition
and valuation of professional ethics and the profession of a teacher in the society through
his/her own action; develops and follows values and norms of the society in various environments; develops values of the learner with his/her own example;
8. understands and applies knowledge and methods characteristic to mathematics, sciences and technology when solving problems; interprets mathematical results in every-day life context; creates technological solutions and acts in both natural as well as technologically rich environment, taking into account the counteraction of nature, technology and society;
9. is oriented towards achievement of results and personal work objectives; looks for opportunities for self-development and advancing in career; offers and realises new ideas, taking into account field- and subject-related knowledge, science-based and best practices; notices problems and hidden opportunities therein; reacts flexibly to changes and assumes reasonable risks;
10. uses correct teaching language verbally and in writing and expresses oneself clearly; uses in one´s work teaching language on level C1 and one foreign language on level B2;
11. evaluates and develops his/her digital competence according to the digital competence model recognised in the education field.
Recurrent competencies are evaluated in the course of evaluation of other competencies listed in the occupational qualification standard.
C General information and Annexes
Designation of occupational qualification standard in register:
Field of occupational activity:
Occupational Qualification Council:
No. of decision of Occupational Qualification Council:
Date of decision of Occupational Qualification Council:
Reference to European Qualifications Framework (EQF):